Monday, March 03, 2008

Instrument of Peace



Take two oaks and a cotton cord
then wrap the rope around the trunks
back and forth let the rope unwind
tie it tight and what do you find?
A earth-friendly, wind-catching
homemade clothesline.
Ah, the world is full of images
and instruments of peace–
what we take for granted is
that wonders never cease.

Looking out the window, hands in the kitchen sink
washing up the dishes gives a person time to think.
I see our colorful clothing fly, 
this old Arkansas home’s prayer flags;
from t-shirts stitched with slogans to denims and dust rags.
The blessed sun shines down.
The breeze it blows and fills.
They sail and pull at pins
as if the billowing clothes
could keep this old world spinnin’
spinnin’ spinnin’ spinnin’ spinnin’
spinnin’ round.

My clothesline is a work of art–
I hang those damp clothes out,
arrange each piece to suit my mood
then watch them blow about. 
I ponder how this ties me to Palestinians and Jews,
Chinese, Pennsylvanians, Iraquis, Zulus, too.
And for a moment all the world
is gathered here beneath my trees
hanging clothes of many colors
on lines in a merry breeze.
Here we are together
dependent on each other
holding hands we shake out wrinkles,
share a perfect crease–
feeling for a moment we’re all instruments of peace.

Oh, the world is full of images
and instruments of peace.
And what we take for granted is
that wonders never cease.
‘Cause the blessed sun shines down.
The breeze it blows and fills.
The clothes pull at their pins.
as if their billowing sails
could keep this old world spinnin’
spinnin’ spinnin’
keep her spinnin’ round.

Mendy Knott Sept. 2006-2007

4 comments:

A Larrapin Garden said...

I love this poem -- and the picture is just lovely. Sure am glad Jane got you set up with a cool camera! Thanks for doing this blog Mendy -- just another way you keep me inspired!

yours,

Unknown said...

Mendy, what a fabulous image in words. A great poem with a perfect pic. Thank you for writing and inspiring me to do the same. I miss you being closer but think of you often, especially this week when I was trying to tally up how many peace poems you have written in these past 5 years of senseless war.

Lin in Asheville

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Home Theater, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://home-theater-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

It is extremely interesting for me to read this article. Thanks for it. I like such topics and everything connected to them. I definitely want to read a bit more on that blog soon.

ShareThis