Thursday, October 07, 2010

Celebrating Success – "A Little Lazarus " At Last

Okay, let's get past the excuses for no post for so long. There is no excuse. How's that? However, I have been putting together my new book, editing dozens of poems, working with my editor/publisher, waiting for the books, reviewing them, realizing we left out a poem (groan), and re-printing them. I've been busy, but have simply not taken time to post a blog. And for that, I apologize. My deadlines are winning the race and beating me to the punch. Is that a mixed metaphor? Yes. I'm a mixed metaphor at the moment.

After 17 years of writing and performing poetry, I have finally put most of my classics (top 10 hits anyway) along with many other poems, on the page. Now anyone, not just my true blue open mic fans, can read and re-read my work in the comfort of their own homes sitting by a fire or lazing on a beach in S. Africa. ( In fact, you can order a copy now, here! ) Finally, a beautiful trade paperback with a Path Hennon pastel on the cover, actually exists. Special thanks go out to her, as well as to Leigh Wilkerson and Liz Lester for believing in my work enough to finally make me do it. I must express my deepest appreciation to Naomi Nye, Patricia Smith, Glenis Redmond, and Allan Wolf, who had such wonderful things to say about my book. Shoot, the blurbs alone are worth the purchase!

So there it is--in black and white as they say. My big reading/signing will be at Nightbird Books on Thursday Oct.14 at 7 pm. Par-tay! I hope we pack the place out. That might not be too hard, since the reading space seems to be shrinking, but lets make it SRO anyway. I want everyone who has encouraged me along the way to be there so I can say thank you. Thank you for your listening ears. Thank you for the encouragement. Thank you for the inspiration of your shared poems and stories. Together we can make anything happen, which is exemplified by the fact that I finally put these poems on the page so you could take them home with you.

My publisher Liz over at Half Acre Press sees me as this completely outgoing extrovert of a performance artist (in other words a big ham) and does not believe it was difficult to take what I do in performance and put it on the page. I don't know why she doesn't believe it since it has taken me nearly two decades to do it. But to me, it's like writing a letter or email: once it's written down, you can't take it back. No more corrections. No more changes to make. (Remember that next time you fire off a snappy email.)

So now all that's left is to sell books and celebrate. We artists often have difficulty taking time to enjoy our success. We almost always have another iron in the fire warming up even as we bask in the glow of the one we've just finished. Yes, I do have another iron in the fire. One project at a time is simply unheard of in my life. But I do intend to celebrate, if not exactly rest on my laurels. I'm going to toast my publisher and editor. I'm going to eat chocolate--as much as I can get. I'm going to take a day off afterwards and go fishing. I'm going to tell myself, "Dang, I deserve this... and whatever recognition follows." I intend to celebrate this success and not just toss it in the pile of "Well, that's done...what's next?"

Celebrate your successes, my sensitive and shy creatives. You've worked hard for your moment in the spotlight. It never lasts long, so bask in it. Heck, come help me celebrate mine while you're at it. And I'll do the same for you.

( To order a signed copy sent right to your mailbox with free shipping click here to go to www.hillpoet.com! )

No comments:

ShareThis